Today is my first Wednesday Action Alert. I was going to put together a list of alerts from movements I follow. But, this week, I only have to announce one event, in Albany on May 10. A convergence of many movements against mass incarceration. Text below is direct from the Challenging Incarceration page. I added links to many groups and campaigns. Follow them all and sign up! Get out on the street! See you in Albany next Wednesday! #NoMorePrisons
Join Challenging Incarceration and New Yorkers struggling for justice statewide for our May 10th lobby day in Albany, Unite for Parole and Prison Justice: A Day of Advocacy and Action. The day will focus on amplifying our message demanding an end to mass incarceration and parole injustice, state violence and torture, and state-sanctioned racism and identity-based oppression, and the promotion of community empowerment. Our May 10th legislative advocacy will place a particular emphasis on bringing people home through a more humane parole system.
Dozens of organizations are coming together to end mass
incarceration in all its forms! We demand
– Parole reform now! Bring our people home!
– Raise the age of criminal responsibility!
– End the torture of solitary confinement!
– Close Rikers! Speedy trials and no cash bail!
– Close Attica! Stop all prison brutality!
– Access to education and the right to vote for all currently and formerly incarcerated people!
– Protect domestic violence survivors facing prosecution!
– Reduce sentences! End post-prison discrimination!
– Fight for racial justice, community empowerment and an end to state violence!
Sponsored and Supported By: Challenging Incarceration & Parole Justice New York
There will be free buses leaving from NYC.
JOIN IN ALBANY!
Gather 9:30 am W. Capitol Park, Washington & Swan [map]
RALLY 12:30 pm W. Capitol Park
Please RSVP to let us know whether you/members of your organization can join us!
Unite for Parole and Prison Justice: A Day of Advocacy and Action will include a rally and speak-out event at West Capitol Park, a march through the capitol, and legislative advocacy around Challenging Incarceration’s platform [here] with a particular focus on parole reform.